List of Art Galleries in Dubai
2. Al Abbar Art Gallery Dubai [shop] www.alabbarart.com - two locations, Gulf Towers tel +971-4-3375537 and Jumeirah Beach Center tel +971-4-3449207 (the blue and glass shopping center on Jumeirah Beach Road). Sells oil paintings, lithographs, limited edition prints, and posters. Opening hours 0900-1300 and 1600-2100 in the Jumeirah Center and 0800-1300 and 1600-2000 in Gulf Towers.
3. Art Sawa Gallery [gallery] - Al Quoz
4. Ayyam Gallery [gallery], www.ayyamgallery.com, Al Quoz near the other art galleries in Al Quoz. Syrian art. Dubai opening 10am Sat 31 May 2008 (with live artists flown in from around the world), tel +971-4-3236242. There's a gallery also in Damascus, Syria.
6. Bagash Art Gallery, www.bagashartgallery.com - tel +971-4-3515311. Opened in early 2006 to showcase southeast Asian Art.
7. Basta Art Cafe [cafe] - Bastikiya, tel +971-4-3626100 (or +971-4-3535071?), a few trinkets for sale. Another delightful restored building with large shaded outdoor area to drink your tea. Open Sat-Thu 1000-2200.
9. Christie's Dubai (well-known international art auctioneers) sales office [art auctions] - office 7, 1st floor, building 2, Emaar Business Park, Sheikh Zayed Road, PO Box 48800, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, tel +971-4-3615323, fax +971-4-3615324, open Sunday-Thursday, 1000-1800. Managing Director - Michael Jeha. Opened office in April 2005 so all the rich people in Dubai could give them their surplus cash.
Creative Arab - see Meem Art Gallery information.
11. Design People [shop] - Mazaya Centre, Sheikh Zayed Road web www.designpeopledubai.com, furniture shop with paintings by Imad Bechara (Lebanon). Clever looking website.
12. Emorarts - an online art gallery at www.emorarts.com, open 24/7 (of course), delivery by DHL. Based in Dubai, established by Ian Mercer and Ian Mulville.
14. Five Green [shop], www.fivegreen.com - behind Aroma Garden Cafe, Oud Metha Road, Bur Dubai, tel +971-4-3364100. Art, music, clothes and magazines for modern urban living.
15. Four Seasons Ramesh Gallery [shop] - Bastakia tel +971-4-3536881, fax +971-4-3536177, www.fourseasonsgallery.com (under construction Oct 2006). A commercial establishment selling a wide range of teapots, old photos and other vaguely arty looking objects, but not many paintings. Branches also in Mall of the Emirates, Jumeirah Beach Hotel, and Heritage Village.
16. Gallery 1 [shop] - Souk Madinat in Jumeirah and Mall of the Emirates. Same place as Middle East Arts in Souk / Souq Madinat. Sells photographs you can't make yourself but wish you could. Web www.g-1.com.
17. Gallery 76 [gallery] - in DIAC, tel +971-4-3444398, opened January 2005. Opening hours Sat-Wed 0900-1700, Thu 0900-1600. Showcasing contemporary art from national and international artists.
18. Godolphin Gallery [showcase] - Nadd / Nad Al Sheba racetrack. It's not art in the normal sense of the word but worth a visit to see the impressive collection of trophies won by horses from Godolphin Stables (that belong to the Maktoum family - Dubai's ruling family). Open daily 0900-1700 and closes 2000 on race nights (mornings only during Ramadan?), web www.godolphin.com/gallery.asp.
21. Majlis Gallery [gallery & small shop], www.majlisgallery.com - near Dubai Museum, Al Fahidi roundabout, Bastikia (Bastakiya), Bur Dubai, tel +971-4-3536233. Well known as it's been open for years (since 1970). Pleasant courtyard to sit in and drink your bottle of water after walking around.
23. Middle East Arts [shop] - in Souk Madinat in Jumeirah - Umm Suqeim/Um Suqqeim. Tel +971-4-3686057, web www.middleeastarts.com. Same place as Gallery 1.
24. Miraj Islamic Art Centre - Jumeirah Beach road, Jumeirah 3 (in the old University of Wollongong building), tel +971-4-3941084 or +971-4-3941094.
25. Mondo Arte [gallery] - The Galleria, second floor, Mall of the Emirates, tel +971-4-3413001. An eclectic collection of paintings from local and international artists.
31. Sahary Gate [tour operator] - walk in through what appears to be a garage door into a welcoming restored courtyard with tourist office, gallery, resident calligrapher, conference room and coffee shop. During Ramadan they have an Iftar Buffet on the roof with a cultural presentation for 180 dhs per person. They also do seminars on UAE culture, tours of the UAE, and language courses. Bastakia House No 14, tel +971-4-3535660, fax +971-4-3539747, www.saharygate.com, PO Box 44911, Dubai, UAE.
Sharjah Art Museum, www.sdci.gov.ae - Bait Al Serkal, Al Shuwaiheyn area, Sharjah, near the Old Souk/Bazaar in the Arts Area of Sharjah. Tel +971-6-5688222, basement parking available. Admission free, open 0900-1300 & 1700-2000 except Mon (closed) & Fri (1700-2000 only). Wed afternoon for ladies only (young children ok). Check hours on public holidays. Ramadhan hours mornings only. Permanent collection belongs to the Ruler of Sharjah - Dr Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qassimi. Regular exhibitions, lectures, workshops etc. Established in 1995, moved to new building in 1997. Visit it to realise Sharjah is not just about dodgy car parts and strict dress codes. Dubai has nothing like this. At least, not yet.
32. The Courtyard [gallery and shops], www.courtyard-uae.com - near Spinneys warehouse, Al Quoz 3, tel +971-4-3475050. A collection of art galleries (well, one), artists, exhibitions, art supplies, furniture, and a cafe/coffee shop. Pleasant place to visit. Don't leave without having a look in "Petals".
33. The Empty Quarter [art gallery], www.theemptyquarter.com - DIFC Gate Village, Building 02, PO Box 509997, Dubai. A new (in 2009) art gallery that has a focus on fine art photography.
35. The Mojo Gallery [gallery], www.themojogallery.com - Unit 33, Al Serkal Avenue, Street 8, Al Quoz 1 (one block behind Times Square), tel +971-4-3236367. Opening date 03 November 2009 with an exhibition by Gail Catlin from South Africa running 04-25 November 2009. Mojo Gallery focuses on highlighting emerging international artists.
37. The Third Line [gallery], www.thethirdline.com - between The Courtyard and Spinneys warehouse, sign is a bit obscure, Al Quoz 3, tel +971-4-3411367, www.thethirdline.com. They've done a good job of turning a warehouse into a gallery.
38. Total Arts [gallery] - The Courtyard, near Spinneys warehouse, Al Quoz 3, tel +971-4-3475050. Opened 1996, specialising in Middle East influenced art and artists. Owner Dariush Zandi.
39. Total Design [studio] - The Courtyard, near Spinneys warehouse, Al Quoz 3, tel +971-4-3475050. Photographic studio also owned by Dariush Zandi.